Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:41:06 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Mites don't reproduce anywhere but in sealed brood, right? Do fall mites
build up like fall bees so they can make it over the winter? How many percent
of the mites in a hive in september make until march?

 Does anyone have any good information about all this?

 /Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden >>

Do your hives really have no brood from September until March?  In UK we are
not too far south of you although generally somewhat milder I believe.  I am
not convinced that we have any totally broodless periods and they start to
increase the brood area in early January as daylight increases.  I don'e
think Stockholm is in the Arctic Circle so I suppose your bees do the same.

Chris