From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:20:37 -0500
quote:
>  Vertical transmission is likely the most important route of
>pathogen infection of new colonies. Theory predicts that this should
>generally select for benign host-parasite relationships.

This theory is full of holes. Given my experience this year with a
yard of 15 untreated hives, I can say that the most important route
of infection is not swarming. Only one hive swarmed but they all
became sick and died from mites. I don't see how a benign host/pest
relationship would *ever* develop in a fatal disease.

Besides, the whole theory rests on human non-involvement. In other
words, nobody treats. Then we sit back and watch 99.9% of the world's
honey bees die. Then we wait for several thousand years for the
repopulation by varroa tolerant bees. Evolution is an exceedingly
slow process and can hardly be depended upon for our purposes.

That is precisely why humans will stay involved, rendering the theory
untestable.  It does, however, point to a goal which is to develop
bee lines which can coexist with varroa, rather than imagining that
we can be rid of the pest. But that is not evolution -- it is
selective breeding, which can bring about good as well as negative
effects.

--
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>