From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 07:17:59 -0400
I wondered what "organic sugar syrup" was and came across this letter to
the USDA on the USDA website. I excerpted it below but the link take you
to the document. Interesting that you need organic sugar to produce
honey sweetened organic produce.

> nSpired Natural Foods currently uses organic evaporated cane juice to
> produce Maranatha® brand
> Honey Sweetened Almond Butter and Honey Sweetened Peanut Spread, as
> well as Ah!Laska ®
> brand Organic Chocolate Syrup. Evaporated cane juice of adequate
> quality cannot be produced
> without the use of calcium hydroxide, since there is no suitable
> alternative processing aid. Being a
> basic ingredient and a versatile sweetener with unique
> (flavor-neutral, handling, etc) characteristics,
> organic evaporated cane juice (made with calcium hydroxide) is
> essential in our formulation without
> which we would not be able to produce our honey sweetened nut butters
> or organic chocolate syrup.
>
> In addition, please note that calcium hydroxide is permitted for use
> in the production of organic sugar
> under European Union regulation number 2092/91. The removal of calcium
> hydroxide from the
> National List and the resulting incompatibility between organic
> standards would all but eliminate the
> export of “organic”, sugar-containing products to the EU, the largest
> market for US produced multi-
> ingredient products.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/NOP/PublicComments/Sunset/Handling/NSpiredNaturalFoods.pdf

In some future time, historians will call this the "Age of Unintentional
Humor".

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine