From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:25:44 -0700
I was never given a written notice of Ag & MKts policy regarding Apiary Inspectors and owning bees. I was told over the phone, by a person in Human Resources,  that as long as I owned bees (1 or more colony), I was not employable because of the conflict of interest that that would constitute.

  The NYS Ethics Commission supplied the Ethics Officer of AG & MKTS with examples of ruling on other conflict of interest situations that are in some ways similar to Apiary Inspectors owning bees. The NYS Ethics Commission did not make a Ruling, they left that to the AG & MKTS Ethic Office.

  I asked the Ethics Officer from Ag & Mkts if this whole thing came about because of a complaint and he said , "No." I asked him if it came from internal review of policy or something like that and he said, "No." So I still don't know from whence this came. I do know that Apiary Inspectors owning bees has been the norm since the begining of the program and other states have laws governing such. I pointed this out to the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner. I also know that bob Mungari fought to keep us employed

  I was told that if I gave up my beekeeping business and returned to work there would be a job for Senior Apiary Inspectors through the winter. It was also stated that this was dependent on the State Apiarst Position being funded and filled. Don't hold your breath. I held mine for 20 years.

  Lloyd, I heard the same rumors. But who should I trust? The Ethics Officer or hearsay?

  Mark

Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

My understanding is that the NYS Ethics Commission was informed of a
contemporaneous conflict by a beekeeper who had an unsatisfactory
experience with an inspector who was also a commercial beekeeper. After
consideration the NYS Ethics Commission ruled that hence no inspectors could
be commercial beekeepers.