From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 07:18:30 -0500
> Could one of you master mead-makers tell me how wise it is to
> use fermented honey to make mead?

If you boil your must (honey and water is called must) you will kill the
yeast
culture already active in your fermenting honey.  Hence you will not have to

worry about foreign yeast cultures when you pitch the yeast of your choice.
However
you WILL have the residual effects and tastes (whatever they are) of the
wild yeasts
that have been active in your honey so far.  This may or may not be a bad
thing.
Best advice I can give is, taste the fermenting honey before you use it.  If
it
tastes good now you can probably use it.  On the other hand, if it has a
sour taste
don't bother, cut your losses and throw it away.  Making mead with moist
honey is a
good use of the moist honey, but it's better to make the mead before the
honey starts
to ferment on its own.

Aaron Morris - thinking for the best mead use the best honey!