From:
Jeffrey Hamelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:17:02 -0500
> >   Honey,
> >therefore, cannot be artisan.
>

> Jeff, I wonder if comb honey would qualify. Producing good comb honey is
> certainly an art.
> Mike

Bill Mares, and other comb honey masters, could conceivably be called
artisans. Their product, comb honey, cannot.

As a baker, I've seen plenty of long-winded discussions on precisely this
topic--artisan bread, artisan bakers, and how to actually define these
things. Ultimately, the baker can be an artisan, but technically bread
cannot. Of course it's cumbersome to say "bread made by an artisan" as
opposed to "artisan bread," but nevertheless it's the baker and not the
bread that is "artisan." Substitute "honey" for "bread". It's the beekeeper
and not the honey that is artisan.