From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:27:17 +0100
Ron wrote about bumblebees

> The bumblebees certainly deserve our respect and care!

You are so right.  I spend a considerable amount of time persuading people
to leave bumblebee nests that they find in the gardens, often in a compost
heap, under the garden shed or in a bird box.

During the 1970s and 1980s huge numbers of bumblebees were destroyed in this
are due to pesticides that were sprayed onto oilseed rape.  As a result, the
towns became a refuge for them and they are now speading back into the
countryside as the use of pesticides reduces.

We have many heathers in the front garden (Ericas, as our soil is not acid
enough for the Callunas) and it is a joy to see the bumblebees on them; on a
fine day in March I counted  11 queens on the heathers and 7 more resting in
the sunshine on the south facing wall of the house.  Our rather small rear
garden is given over to a patio, with herbs planted beyond - thyme, sage,
lavender, catmint, oregano, etc. - and is alive with insects.  The bumblbees
work lavender and catmint non-stop.  Of course, they work all hours as they
have very little stores in the nest and have to forage almost constanly,
regardless of the weather.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/