From:
Tim Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 20:36:18 -0500
Standards for "Organic Honey"
<Organic honey must be produced by naturally foraging colonies that are located at least 2 miles distant, in straight-line flight, from any pollution source which could cause the honey to become contaminated by, or as a result of, returning foraging bees (e.g. synthetic-chemical sprayed agriculture, industrial centers, urban centers, etc.).

A detailed map of all forage areas is required from all applicants.>

I would only ask a few questions; during the months your honey supers are on,just how do you know what's in a two mile flight path of any "Organic Honey Producing Colony" on any given day?
Just what is an urban center?  Is that the middle of a town?  Can I place a hive two miles away from downtown Topeka and bee organic?

<Apiary "yards" should be located near abundant, forageable pollen and nectar crops;(that's what I'm looking for), yards should be located in areas of low ant activity;>

The person who wrote this has obviously never been..........anywhere, anyplace out-side!!!
I've never seen an apiary where ants aren't present or are "low activity ants".   I want to see some of these critters!!!! "Low activity ants"   Anyone ever seen "Killer Ants" on discovery channel?.

<Hives (if paintable) should be painted with non-toxic paint and in a suitable color for the climatic conditions; >
I believe all of my hives are painted in a suitable color.  If it wasn't suitable, I wouldn't have used it.  They are (all paintable)and especially now after a year in the field. I've never seen a bee keel over from the paint on the side of a box in 15 years.

< In other words, why does organic
have to prove itself on the conventional playing field?  Wouldn't that be like calling Walter Payton a mediocre athlete because he couldn't hit a home run?>

"Organic" sets its own rules and asks for a premium, so it should have to prove itself.   Walter Payton proved himself every game, every play, on the field of a football stadium..............
where he proclaimed he was a football player, the real thing, not a basketball player or hockey player or any other pretender.  You ask me for $8.00 a lb. and up and the burden of proof is on you.  You are no longer on a "conventional playing field."

I haven't had a better laugh since I saw my first Marx Brothers Movie when I was 8 years old.

Tim Tucker