From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:03:31 -0400
> AHB genetics are so widespread now many times serious stinging incidents are not DNA tested in even the states known for AHB.

I am not talking about bees with african genes somewhere in their ancestry. I am talking about real honest to god africans like they have in Florida, Texas and Arizona. These sting the beejeesus out of people and are illegal in NYS.

The law simply states Africanized bees are prohibited. We have already discussed this on Bee-L.  We don't need a DNA test to tell them apart, if they act like african bees, they aren't welcome here.

It's the same argument as pit bulls. The problem is not the genes, but the behavior. If these animals behave themselves, no problem. If the dog bites somebody, end of story, dog gone. If there is a severe stinging incident, same thing. It's bad for beekeepers, beekeeping and the public to have vicious honey bees around. Keep 'em down south, we don't want 'em.

Pete