From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:45:05 -0500
> From: Brad Henry <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:26:41 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Bees & Duck Box
>
> Wood duck box over water with bees.  I would like to transfer this hive into a
standard > hive body that would end up being only about 200 feet away.

1. Water is probably quite shallow;  block box opening(s) with screen wire

2.  Pull its nails and take the box down, transport it 2 miles, then open,
remove the comb, brood, and queen, place in frames with rubber bands, as
planned.   Set up and leave the colony right there for 2 weeks, (so the bees
will stay put, losing their orientation to place), THEN move it where ever
you want to keep it.

3.  Clean the duck box with hive tool, torch the inside lightly, and paint
it inside with latex paint  (to kill the hive odor prevent another swarm
from renting it again), and hang it back in the tree.

Bob Barnett
Birmingham, AL  (S.E.  USA)