From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:51:28 -0800
Hi Aaron,

> I've always wondered where this water comes from.  The folks at Betterbee speculate it's condensation.

Last winter I decided to cut inner covers for the BeeterBee Polynuc out of acrylic so I can take the top off during cold weather and
not expose the colony to the weather. When I did take the top off this is what I saw. Directly above the cluster it was dry on top
under the cover, but under the cover where the cluster was not located there was droplets of water. Probably from condensation and I
assume these droplets would build in weight and eventually drop to the bottom.

>  I suspect a solution would be to drill a hole in the bottom and screen it over,

I had considered this but did not want to jeopardize the value of the solid bottom for feeding purposes. I decided to trial a
screened bottom instead, I top feed with a two gallon baggy in the fall with my hand made Polynucs.

> Hard winter, upstate New York winter, to rival Maine, Vermont, and Alaska!

In temperatures yes but not with duration, which I think is where the biggest difference is in some locations, can make wintering
tough.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,