From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:51:33 -0500
Hello All,
I received my information on Copper Gluconate last week.  I have read the
material over very carefully many times.   Because all tests were run in
other countries and the information contained is about tests ran at least
seven years ago I would like to bring the subject up again.  In looking
through my varroa U.S. files I don't see where organic copper gluconate has
ever been tested in the U.S..  Has any testing ever been done in the U.S.?
If I am understanding the information correctly the whole theory is based
on the discovery by D.S. Popeskovic in 1984 of the differences in the
copper composition of honeybees and their parasitic mite(Varroa).
Popeskovic proved that feeding bees with copper derivatives could exhibit a
systemic toxicity to the parasite varroa (Popeskovic & Bounias 1986) If
copper gluconate did as Popeskovic says wouldn't the salts also be systemic
against the tracheal mite?
Testing was done in France at the apiaries of Syndicat des apiculteurs du
puy-de-Dome. Observations were made on 1500 colonies but almost 3,000 were
involved in the tests. Control was in the 84.7% to 96.5% range according to
the information sent to me. Are there any French beekeepers which could
comment on the tests ?
Hormetic effects were also reported in the tests(Nectoux1990)such as
increase in number of brood combs and improvement in lifespan.
I would appreciate any help or information on the subject Bee-L people
might provide. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri