Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:57:14 -0700

 Since you mention tulip poplars I assume you are located in the SE US?
 I have no experience with the growing conditions in that part of the
 country so I would recommend you contact your state extension service
and see if buckwheat is a viable crop for your area.  A good buckwheat site
 is http://www.muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/crops/g04306.htm but
 of course results would vary based on local growing conditions.  I have no
 hard data as to how much acreage is required to support each hive so I can
 only suggest that you experiment.

 Your climate sounds a great deal like ours as we are normally in
 drought mode from early July until (maybe) as late as Nov. every year.
 We specialize in drought tolerate, hardy perennials and there are several
 which would fit your need to provide a nectar source under mid to
 late-season growing conditions, although for the most part they would
qualify as "adding to the mix" rather than supplying a primary nectar
source.  You certainly have more than enough acreage available for an
adequate buckwheat crop for your number of hives, assuming you were to plant
the whole 10 acres and could get water to it during the dry periods.  In our
experience buckwheat is *not* very drought tolerant, but we have sandy loam
soil which perks and dries out rapidly, and the plant may react differently
under other growing conditions.

 I would be happy to share what little I know about buckwheat and
drought-tolerant, bee-friendly plants on either a direct basis or over at
sci.agriculture.beekeeping, but I'm not at all sure we are going to be
well received by the august members here on Bee-L, who seem to prefer to
pursue more technical matters.  Please feel free to either open a new thread
on sci.ag.bee or drop me an e-mail directly and I will talk your leg off
about our experiences with nectar producing "dry time" plants.  :-)

 Skip

 Skip & Christy Hensler
 THE ROCK GARDEN
 Newport, WA