From:
tom barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:57:49 +0000
Hello All

A debate on this subject is now on the Irish List. I am anxious to get an
update from American beekeepers on the present status of resistance to
miticides. Here in Ireland we do not yet to our knowledge have resistance -
varroa was first found in 1998 and it has travelled throughout the country
at great speed. But it is only fair to say that in 1997 we thought we did
not have varroa and probably had!

There is resistance in the UK and it will appear here sooner rather than later.

Is it correct that resistance to Apistan is now widespread in the USA and
that resistance to Coumaphos is in at least four states?

I recently hear that all states that have a Section 18 exemption in place
will be able to treat with ApiLife VAR  in the Spring of 2003.

Please forgive a foreigner's lack of knowledge of USA regulations, but I
understand that Section 18 exemption has to do with the registration of
Coumaphos as a response to the failure of Apistan/Bayvarol to control varroa.

Is the ApiLife VAR registration in response to failure of another treatment
in the states where the permission has been given?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Tom Barrett
Dublin