From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:24:09 -0000
Re-reading my last post I find I did not make the point strongly enough.
ADVICE TO FEED SUGAR WHEN SUPERS ARE ON IS THE GREATEST DANGER FACING
BEEKEEPING.

Why?  Because, as said, beekeeping only makes sense if honey can be sold at
many many times the price of sugar.  If the public ever associates the two -
they will not buy honey at such a differential.

Where is the danger the public will start to associate honey with sugar?
From food writers.  In UK, food articles are in every newspaper and Sunday
newspapers often have whole supplementart magazines on food.

Why would a food writer question honey?  Because they have the sort of
friends who take up beekeeping for fun.  If one visits a new beekeeper and
is innocently told that beekeepers are advised to FEED FEED FEED sugar to
draw new supers - and 'here, I got lot's of honey my first year, taste
some!' - then we could find honey sales slumping.  Golden syrup, maple
syrup, are much cheaper.

How do we unite to stamp out this irresponsible advice?

If it means that if u live in an area with insufficient forage u shoud give
up idea of keeping bees, isn't that just something to accept?  In better
areas, if u cannot draw sections without feeding, should you not stick to
extracted honey?

HOW HOW HOW can we get this message across - before it is too late?

Food writers are potentially very good friends to beekeeping.  The worries
with obesity are growing.  Substituting honey for sugar reduces your calorie
intake becasuse honey is sweeter than sugar so u use less.  We could gain
twice - lower calories, more concern on eating wholesome natural foods.
Less go for the plusses - but guard more strongly against the downsides that
could follow more foodie attention on honey.

Robin Dartington