From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:08:44 +1300
> Indeed the discussion of colour recognition has been very interesting.  I hope
> the off-shore subscribers have appreciated the spelling!

Yes indeed!!

One point in all this.  The discussions seem to indicate that bees see UV
*and*  the colours of what *we* call the visible spectrum as though they see
the two independently.   This is a bit like saying we see red at one end of
the visible spectrum and blue at the other end - when in fact what we see is
purple.  Virtually all the colours we see are a combination of various
wavelengths.  So what do bees see when they detect a combination of mostly
yellow light and UV light?     Bzzznectalot, their favourite colour!!

Regards,
Peter Bray
Airborne Honey Ltd., Pennington St, PO Box 28, Leeston,
New Zealand Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569
http://www.airborne.co.nz  [log in to unmask]