From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 21:12:50 -0500
Hello All,
Interesting experiment is in progress in Florida by the USDA-ARS & Dave
Hackenberg.
400 hives.
100 hives in each of four category.

1. CCD dead-out untreated

2.CCD dead out brood comb irradiated

3. CCD dead out honey supers (no brood)

4.CCD dead out brood boxes fumigated as I posted with acetic acid.

All hives had new packages put in from same supplier.

Irradiated & acetic acid doing fine. ( 2 & 4)

problems in group 1 & 3  I have been told. I am really surprised of the
trouble in group 3.

A quote from Dave Hackenberg on the Bee Culture  "Catch the Buzz" site

" His initial observation was that the differences between treated and
untreated colonies was day & night"

I remind the list that these hives are about two months ahead of our Midwest
hives depending on when the project was started. Many many beekeepers have
dumped packages into CCD deadouts. I wonder what the next couple months will
bring for those beekeepers?

I did not have CCD in my hives although I had some winter kill . However I
am keeping a close watch on my bees. No problems yet for which I am
thankful. Again if you live in Missouri and you see your hives starting to
crash with the CCD signs as posted on several places on the internet contact
me and I will come and take a look and see if we can turn the situation
around.

The above USDA-ARS? David Hackenberg experiment should wake beekeepers up to
*is CCD real?*

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
concerned beekeeper