Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:32:17 GMT
>>i'd disagree with your comment that beekeepers on this list disagree. most of the people on this list who are most vocal insisting that CCD is this big deal don't even keep bees anymore.

I don't know about this.  You may be right about who keeps bees and who doesn't but there have been disagreements about the EXTENT of CCD.

>>while it did afflict a small number of beeks its pretty safe to say that the media version is pretty much a hoax as they make it out like the sky is falling.

Without good statistics, the real extent of CCD is anybody's guess.  I certainly don't know although I don't know of anyone personally who has it.

>>liberal tree hugging types worried about GMO's and global warming.

On the other hand, everyone should be concerned about GMOs.  If folks were not concerned, Gerber would have removed GMOs from baby food.

And Bill T. :)) would not be an organic gardener despite his claim GMOs are perfectly safe for you.

>>many with no science background at all.

I'd argue one with no science background can have common sense and see through the facts in a rational way.  The problem is not judgement or analysis but getting repeatable and reproducable facts without pseudo-scientific bias due to a compromising sponsor.

>>of course the bees MUST be disappearing as the world is coming to a tipping point of environmental crisis.

The increasing deserts worldwide and diminishing water in US west and southwest are evidence enough of climate change. I am one of those concerned.

>>for a real life wake up slap to the face just wait til the 2007 honey crop report comes out.

I had a record crop in 2007. The trend elsewhere may be distorted by a momentary spike in a given year.

>>what i hear is it will be close to 2006 production. so how did we pull that off with an apocalyptic bee loss of histrorical proportions?

Good point.  Playing the devil's advocate, I'd say a low level CCD - I assume it be out there - could bloom without notice and cause a crisis.

Waldemar