From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:47:02 -0500
Hello All,
Today's Kansas City Star had an article on CCD. Pretty much the same
information again except the article said "taken up by Martians" had been
ruled out. I am not kidding!

I spoke today with a migratory beekeeper enroute from Texas to Nebraska. He
said the bees in Texas look better than they have in years. He told me a few
rumors but until I verify will keep to myself.

He said most of the beekeepers wintering at the area we go in Texas still
meet at the same restaurant each day for breakfast. Seeing those guys I
miss!
He said all those guys report excellent bees this year. Said to tell me "Hi"
and a speedy recovery.

For those which do not know I had another hernia operation. Second in five
years. Had a destroyed rotator cuff three years ago.

Those which have met me know I work in the bee yards. I have got callused
hands and muscle tone. When I meet a commercial beekeeper ( at national
meetings) for the first time if I do not fell callused hands or see muscle
tone I can't help think he is an office dweller. My best information comes
from the beekeepers with their heads looking in the hives.

  The Nebraska beekeeper seemed not worried about CCD. Said his family lost
all their bees in 1989 to tracheal mites. He said they expected losses but
not a total wipeout. He also said when varroa hit his hives went from around
2000 to less than 200.

I will repeat one rumor. He said the talk in the over winter Texas locations
is beekeepers with CCD losses *might* collect up to $35 per hive. The payoff
for pesticide kill was $18 in the last year of the program ( 1978) so about
double the amount almost thirty years later if happens.

The amount would buy a small package (less shipping) but was the same deal
in 1978.

I repeat only a rumor at this point. However the package replacement figure
is in line with what I would expect the government to do.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.