From:
Gerald Herrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:29:25 -0500
Ten weeks ago today (July 1st) I hived a three pound package of Buckfast
bees on foundation only. I have continued to feed sugar syrup and the
bees have drawn out 27 frames on foundation in three deep supers. I have
one shallow super of foundation which the bees are only starting to
work. One deep super is partially capped honey on nine frames. The other
two deep supers are both brood and partially capped honey. Today, I
noted four swarm cells on the bottom of one frame, also one queen cell
drawn out close to the top of one frame. One queen cell had an opening
in the side, the larva was dead. There was capped brood and larvae in
the hive. Is this a case of supersedure in this hive (the original queen
was marked and clipped)? Would one normally see supersedure cells and
swarm cells or is there any difference. Would a hive supercede their
queen and also swarm? I destroyed the queen cells that I had seen, but i
assume this to be a fruitless effort. Is it common for a newly hived
package of bees to swarm the first season? Or are swarm cells sometimes
made and no swarms come forth?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Gerald Herrin

Gerald Herrin