From:
bill & cathy brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:16:38 -0800
To those who have responded to my "child bee suit" inquiry:
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, good and bad, with
children and beekeeping.  I have learned much more about the down-side of
children and bee venom.  I must say that I was not aware that exposure to
bee venom without stings can still pose a serious threat to my daughter's
safety.  I would like very much for my little girl to experience the labor
and love that is involved with caring for bees, but not at the expense of
her health...
    I would like to know, though, at what age does the risk of anaphylactic
shock wane?  Are there other options besides intentionally stinging to
produce a tolerance to venom?  After hearing about Michael Palmer's
experience, I will certainly insure that I at least have a bottle of
Benedryl in my bee yard supplies at all times.  My intention was not that my
daughter be working hives, just that she would be able to observe the work.
It sounds as though even observation poses a serious risk, and my wife and I
are reconsidering our expectations of having our little one around.
    I would like my daughter to work with us someday... Does anyone have any
input as to when that should be?  I know that many of you represent multiple
generations of beekeepers.  At what age did your parents put you to work?
If  Tim Vaughan should read this, I'd like to hear at what age he started
his kids out beekeeping (I have read in ABJ that he has quite a few kids)
and what precautions he has taken to protect his kids..
    Once again, thank you to all who replied to my inquiry.  Your advise is
well received and appreciated.  I did buy a bee suit for my daughter
yesterday from Dadant in Chico, CA (thanks John) but I think I'll put it
away until such a time that she can use it without dire health risks...

Happy Beekeeping!

Bill Brown
Willits, California