From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:12:54 -0000
Dear Bob & All,

Following on from your message, we have seen obvious decreases in the
incidence of both European and American foulbrood in colonies treated with
Apiguard over time. It's extremely difficult to quantify but we've had many
independent responses from beekeepers both professional and hobbyists here
in the UK, in France, Italy and in North Africa in particular who have used
Apiguard over two or three seasons. They say the bees are really healthy and
vigorous. Thymol is a natural bacteriocide, fungicide, acaricide and at high
doses, insecticide. In addition it seems that the bees clean the hive more
efficiently in the presence of Apiguard gel - they want to get rid of it and
at the same time they end up doing a scouring job of the brood frames.
Devious I know, getting them to do all that extra work but it wasn't planned
like that!

Apiguard is NOT a treatment for chalkbrood or for either European or
American Foulbrood; it often helps but it should not be relied upon for
complete control of brood diseases. The extent of control is also dependent
on the activity and behaviour of the adult bees. Bee activity and thymol
sublimation from the gel matrix are both partly affected by environmental
temperature. Humidity may also come into it but in the numerous trials we've
done so far there is no clear link with humidity alone.

Max

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited
21/23 Wote Street
Basingstoke
Hampshire RG21 7NE
UK

Tel.: +44 (0) 1256 473177
Fax: +44 (0) 1256 473179

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

web: http://www.vita-europe.com

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm