From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:15:58 +0100
Hi Robert
Over the last century, the thread on increasing cellsize is well documented
but not part of most beekeeper's knowledge base. I wish that I had been more
aware of it 25 years ago...Varroa or no varroa I would have tried to redress
the balance.

I have come to this discussion from a different angle...I have seen plenty
of evidence that shows that cellsize affects bee size (although most of the
experiments were striving for a larger bee)...See Beowulf Cooper's work
about 25 years ago ISBN 0-905369-06-8 "The Honeybees of the British Isles"
published by BIBBA.

My reason to look at cellsize was to find a mechanism to discriminate
against italian genes in my local Apis Melliffera Mellifera population. If
at the same time I have a management technique that slows down the Varroa
breeding process, all well and good (acarine or tracheal mite are not much
of a problem in UK anyway).

Too many people are arguing about this...Rather than conducting the trails
themselves to broaden the data. You will get no help from the establishment
or from supply houses...Try asking for 4.9mm foundation and see what
assistance you get!

I do not claim to have the answers nor these days do I have the resources or
physical strength for large scale trials, but for my own satisfaction I will
perform a few experiments...I have a feeling that there is much more in this
than most people are prepared to accept. The trials are not difficult so how
about some more activity?

Perhaps Robert Mann is in a position to do some of the trails at his
establishment? That would redress the ballance as far "evidence on its
efficacy" is concerned.

There is another aspect here that may be appropriate to New Zealand and
their current "newness" of infestation. As each country has been invaded by
varroa they have all adopted their own research projects into "Varroa". As a
result the "Learning Curve" has been revisited two dozen times in about as
many years. I would urge New Zealand to build on some of this work rather
than duplicate it. At least as the latest to be invaded you should be able
to learn by the mistakes that have been made by others.

APISTAN will work as a "quick fix" while you get your act together.

As regards a programme including several other chemical methods including
thymol, formic acid. By all means make these trials BUT make your starting
point the current "state of the art" even if it does mean accepting data
from other sources.

The physical control method (cellsize) needs testing in wide open spaces on
large numbers of colonies. I would have thought that New Zealand had both
requirements in abundance. All that is really needed is the audacity to "go
for it".

Regardless of my humble opinions, (you will find some more of them on my
website), I wish New Zealand success in their venture.

Best Regards, Dave Cushman
G8MZY
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website...Beekeeping and Bee Breeding