From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:10:32 -0400
A friend writes
> in Egypt we use terramycin, sulfaquinoxaline,  sulfisomidine, and tylosin for foulbrood.

Sulfonamide drugs (known widely as "sulfa drugs") were the first
antimicrobial drugs, and paved the way for the antibiotic revolution
in medicine. The dye-based drug was synthesized by Bayer chemist Josef
Klarer and tested in animals under the direction of
physician/researcher Gerhard Domagk. Domagk quickly won the 1939 Nobel
Prize in Medicine and Physiology

Later it was discovered by a French research team at the Pasteur
Institute that the drug was metabolized into two pieces inside the
body, releasing from the inactive dye portion a smaller, colorless,
active compound called sulfanilamide. The active molecule
sulfanilamide (or sulfa) had first been synthesized in 1906 and was
widely used in the dye-making industry; its patent had since expired
and the drug was available to anyone.

The result was a sulfa craze. For several years in the late 1930s
hundreds of manufacturers produced tens of thousands of tons of myriad
forms of sulfa. This and nonexistent testing requirements lead to the
Elixir Sulfanilamide disaster in the fall of 1937, wherein at least
100 people were poisoned with diethylene glycol. This led to the
passage of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act in 1938.

As the first and only effective antibiotic available in the years
before Penicillin, sulfa drugs continued to thrive through the early
years of World War II. They are credited with saving the lives of tens
of thousands of patients. Sulfa had a central role in preventing wound
infections during the war. American soldiers were issued a first aid
kit containing sulfa powder and were told to sprinkle it on any open
wound.

Approximately 3% of the general population have adverse reactions when
treated with sulfonamide antimicrobials. Of note is the observation
that patients with HIV have a much higher prevalence, at about 60%.
People who have a hypersensitivity reaction to one member of the
sulfonamide class are likely to have a similar reaction to others.

--
Peter L. Borst
Danby, NY  USA

picasaweb.google.com/peterlborst