From:
Bill Meister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:16:29 -0700
Hello all:

I am a "NewBee" having hived my first package this May.
I now have three colonies and am targeting for 5 to 6 in time for Avocado
bloom the first of the year.
I live in Fallbrook Southern California in San Diego county, USA.
I have been feeding 50-50 sugar syrup along with pollen substitute patties.
When I feed in a division board feeder, the bees will empty it in about
1-1/2 days.
There's a lot of syrup now in the combs, but once the feeders are empty,
there is no more "nectar" coming into the hive. (I'm assuming here that the
current drought has reduced natural forage to nil)
I've read that a colony can become "honey bound" and interfere with egg
laying so I'm concerned about feeding too much.
Our winters are very mild and I can make sure the bees are supplied with
food contiunally so I don't feel it's critical to amass winter stores in my
area.

My questions are:
1) What is the preferred rate of feeding in order to maximize colony
development?
Is it better to have a lot of stored syrup all at once or is it better to
limit the rate at which they can take syrup by feeding with sealed plastic
containers with a few small holes. I believe I've read that egg laying is
stimultated by nectar flows. Does this mean that the queen may not lay as
well without nectar flows even though there is plenty in the combs?

2) Is apple cider vinegar safe to use in syrup to prevent mold in the syrup?
I have been using 1 tsp per gallon and it completely prevents mold
development. But is it safe for the bees? They seem to take it just fine.
And if I should not use vinegar and I have to tolerate mold, does the mold
itself cause any problems with the bees?

3) In order to maximize pollination of Avocados, would it be advisable to
use pollen traps so the bees will work harder and visit more flowers?

4) Since my objectives are pollination rather than honey production, I have
made no preparations for extracting and am reluctant to buy extracting
equipment. I assume I can feed surplus honey back to the bees next year.
Does anyone know whether avocado honey stores well in the comb?

Thanks

Bill Meister