From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:18:17 -0700
Matthew wrote:

> How is that bees can survive following hours frozen and submerged?  Somehow
> come to life with a quick warm wash?
>
> Bees which appear in EVERY aspect to be completely dead -

I have noticed this for years on our lab sidewalks (back when we had a
winter),
and am sure beekeepers have been puzzled by this for centuries - Dr.
Marshall
Levin mused on this as a storage method for honey bee overwintering, but
could
never make any headway. He thought it reasonable that diapause in many
insects
could be induced in bees. Even in humans, quick cooling can sometimes be
reversed
after minutes  (or hours ?), and Dr. Salt (?) in Canada wrote on the
lepidopterous
pupae which hang in the wind at 20 deg. below zero.
   I'm sure Dr. Levin would be pleased that someone is still trying to
figure this
one out. Go for it !!
    - John
John F. Edwards