Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:00:25 -0700
> Yes, but they vaporize it, not *burn* it.  Too hot, and it degrades.

Yes, it is a still in use. I believe Medhat worked on a model and am not
sure if it is production or not, and Cowan are making one as well.

On of the originals is Cor Dewitt, and I have pictures of one of his early
models.  See http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/cor.htm

He has a new model which he sells for several thousand dollars.  It does
four hives at a time, and several commercial typically operators share the
cost, since treatments take only minutes per yard.

Search "Cor Dewit" at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/localsearch.htm also for
more details and search "oxalic" for even more.  Also search the BEE-L
archives at
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?REPORT&z=4&1=BEE-L&L=BEE-L
as well.  (If you see what you want, read the help file).

This method can reportedly be repeated on wintering bees without apparent
negative consequences.  As Randy indicated, temperatures are somewhat
critical in that too low a temp will result in incomplete evaporation, and
too high a temperature will result in decomposition of the acid into useless
components.

I noticed that navigation and searches on my site have been getting a bit
unpredictable, so have been tidying a few things up.