From:
Robert Field <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:34:17 -0500
I have to disagree with you, 99.9% the entrance is above the comb. Before I
ever started keeping bees my father and I cut many a tree open to rob the
honey and I don't recall ever opening a tree where the bees entrance was
above the combs.In fact just the opposite as that is how we would decide
where to start cutting. I have also removed many a swarm from buildings and
they were always above their entrance. I am not saying your idea would not
work only it would seem to me that the bees would build bur and bridge
combs from the bottom of the frames to the floor which would make it
difficult to work. For those of you who want to build your own IPM or
screen bottom board, they have a real good plan at beesource.com, It has a
removable board you can remove without disturbing the ladies. It works real
well for me. I don't know about some one that has a real large operation
like Allen. From reading his diary I'd say no. Bob