From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:39:06 -0500
Lipscomb, Al wrote:

> >I am of the opinion that finding and marking queens is an utter waste of
> time.
> Hi Al,
Every beekeeper should be able to FIND the queen for a number of reasons
i won't go into. The only time i mark a queen is one headed for a
observation hive. Its so much easier for the kids to find the queen
themselves AND EASIER ON THE BEEKEEPER!
For beekeepers with poor vision and begining beekeepers i recommend a
marked queen. Also beekeepers with dark colored bees as the queens are
difficult for beginners to find.
Being able to pick up a queen by her wings without harming her is
something i believe a beekeeper should be able to do. Then when ready
workers with stingers. Even now i get punished by a worker now and then
for picking her up by her wings. I never swell because of the amount of
stings i get year around but even the last sting i got about a hour ago
felt like the first i got as a child. i rather work without gloves but
will put them on on a cloudy day or when bees seem in a bad mood. Major
stinging hardly occurs because i don't let it get started.
Bob Harrison