Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:04:10 EDT
Murray McGregor is right in pointing out that there has been very little real
science done on small cells as a control for varroa.  I share his opinion
that there are some suspect theories mixed up with the practice but I am
reluctant to risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater until all aspects
have been thoroughly tested.

We have on this list about 1000 people with inquiring minds, a greater or
lesser scientific bent/training, bees and varroa.  Can we together DO some
science rather than just write and argue about it?   How many people will
spare time from their keyboards and spend time this winter (summer for our
antipodean friends) making up small celled foundation to try for a few years
to give the theory a proper test that can be scientifically documented and
peer reviewed.

If small celled foundation is the answer to the varroa question those who
take part in the science will have the satisfaction of  being part of a small
footnote in the history of beekeeping.  If it is not the answer you can have
the satisfaction of saying "I thought so all along, but as a scientist I gave
it a fair trial"

Chris Slade