Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 21:19:43 EDT
Hello Rick, Nancy, and Bob:

When Shim announced PMS 5-6 years ago, I had some long deep discussions with
him
because all viruses are so different that bacterial diseases.

Based on what I have seen at Beltsville since that time, and now have a lot
of knowledge about PMS, I am willing to bet that the bees died of PMS which
is caused by MITES.

I agree with Bob, ALL commercial beekeepers better start reading and
understanding
RECENT literature, because bees cannot be kept in the 21st century like
"Daddy kept bees" before 1984.

Going even further, there is no such thing as a cold winter killing healthy
bees.
Several scientists, notably now deceased Dr. Ed Southwick subjected colonies
temperatures as low as 80 BELOW for periods as long as a month, and NO
COLONIES
DIED.  It is in the literature!  Bees that are already SICK from something
else, maybe
mites, die in cold weather NOT FROM THE COLD, but weakened by the some
disease or pests, and the cold is just the final problem.

I hope you ALL are having a great nectar flow.  My colonies are beginning to
fill their third medium super.  Taking care of 20 colonies on my scooter or
golf cart is very difficult and tiring for me, but it helps me mentally to
"put up" with my
stroke disabilities.

George