From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:42:15 +0300
 The desinfection of AFB spores in plastic frames is a problem. I see only
two solutions:

1. Irradiation ( not easily available in all places)
 2. Boiling in lye - this is not possible with pierco, but there has been
 frames that can take boiling + pressure wash without damage available from
Israel in the past. My friend here in Finland  makes them for sale. More
expensive because of different plastic, but in my opinion worth the expense.

 Price without tax about 1,8 euro.

 The desinfection of polystyrene hives after AFB is not a problem. Danes H.
Hansen and  C. Brödsgaard made a study already in 1990's which showed that
the four method of box desinfection were equally effective. These were:

 1. Burning with flame
 2 Pressure wash with cold water
 3. Hand wash with a brush and diswasher washing liquid
4. Spraying scraped boxes with 2 %  Virkon S ( a trademark of a desinfection
chemical)

Number 3 and 4 are ok for polystyrene boxes.

 The interesting fact was that only 75 - 80 % of spores in boxes died in all
categories, but this was enough because they did a follow up by putting the
treated boxes on beehives, no one of the hives got a desease within a year.
.

 Ari Seppälä

 Finland