From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:12:31 -0400
George,

I think you are absolutely correct on both counts.  My honey is lighter this
year, as we had a hard, late freeze just as the tulip poplar were thinking
of opening. Last year, it was three solid weeks of rain during the poplar
bloom, but the bees managed to get out enough to get that good red color.
Looks like mostly clover this year, and not as much flavor as a result.

One local packer (possibly a producer, but his honey says "packed for") has
several different varieties of honey, including two kinds of cut comb.  Too
bad for the consumer, as a quick comparison (checked for several years
running now) reveals that all of his honey (wildflower, clover, sourwoood)
has the exact same coloring and approximate water concentration (which you
can check by watching the air bubble after turning two upside down).  I
doubt those who purchase his honey at the many produce stands and flea
markets see any real difference and wonder what the big to-do is about
varietal honeys.

And honeydew can be as dark, but the original poster asked how S/HE could
get dark honey. Since the current crop is always light, I would assume there
is no honeydew source close by. Attempting to introduce such a source would
involve bringing in large numbers of plant pests (aphids, etc) to wound
trees to cause the sap to run. Not a viable possibility. Buckwheat is a
viable short term strategy, as is goldenrod (take if off in the fall and
feed the bees before winter to rebuild their stores).  A long-term
strategy -- plant tulip poplar trees in your yard (maybe 4 or five might
fit) and give seedlings away to everyone in your local "neighborhood"
(defined as within 3 miles flying distance).  You wont' see any honey right
away, but eventually you would have a wonderful source and the neighborhood
ends up with a better shade tree than those useless bradford pears everyone
plants.  While you are at it, give away a few willows, for use as a spring
pollen source.  You can get trees tremendously cheap from many state ag
dept's, from organizations like the Arbor Day Foundation and from commercial
nurseries.  If you are more optimistic, you could even collect seed and
plant from there.

As to the color of buckwheat -- every place I've seen it for sale, it is jet
black (darker than coffee, closer to blackstrap molasses).  Perhaps it is
the variety of buckwheat that is planted, rather than the soil.  And, yes,
the smell is "strong".  Just not nearly as bad as the fall combination of
goldenrod/aster/whatever that my bees work here.

Karen