From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:49:21 -0800
The discussion about one-piece plastic frames and foundation seems to have died down after identifying a problem with burr comb.  In my little operation, I have not noticed any particular burr comb problems with Pierco's one-piece that I didn't have with any other wood frame.

However, I have had a different "challenge" that I'd like to hear suggestions on.

Maria touched upon it in her thread and her satisfaction with Pierco "once they are built."  I also like the one-piece Pierco, but I have a problem getting my bees to draw out the comb.  Once they draw it out, they're great!  Getting the bees to draw them out is a challenge.

I've tried my best to get plastic foundation drawn out.  I respect the standard procedures of only introducing foundation during a flow.  While this has worked with some of my colonies, the relative brevity of the honyflow limits how many frames can be drawn out.

I've tried spraying with sugar syrup only to have it bead up and roll off the waxed coating.  I have noticed how my mediums are nicely accepted, but the brood frames less accepted.  Thanks, Allen, I'll take some measurements and see if the mediums are the cells are larger!

It has been suggested that I "weave" the plastic foundation between two frames of brood.  I'll try it this year.

This past year I tried old Permadent sheets bound in a wood frame from an older gentlemen who retired from keeping bees.  I had pretty good success, but then our honeyflow ends.  I tried forcing a couple of colonies to nothing but plastic foundation and the bees balk and build bridge comb.

This year I've ordered some more Permadent, Pierco, Plasticell and Rite-Cell, as well as Dadant's new introdction of EZ-Frames (their one-piece).  I'm going to try some side-by-side comparisons.  I'm going to compare the one-piece against the wood-bound.  Still, I'd like to hear from you all what tricks you use to get plastic foundation drawn out.

All of this has further implications for the increased use of 4.9mm or small cell foundation to suppress mites.  It's my understanding that 4.9mm foundation made of plastic is now being test marketed.  Without taking "opinions" of whether smaller cells work or not, I'd like to know what people are doing to get the plastic foundation drawn out.

Grant