From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:22:55 -0400
As usual, a great post from Murray.

His comment on a lack of nectar reminded me that, at least in Maine, for
those of us (in all parts of the State) who extract in late July/early
August, there was no honey. Then, right after that, nectar came in and
there was a significant and much greater than usual fall surplus.

So add that to the possible causes for losses in Maine the past year. My
guess is similar conditions were present in most of the NE US.

I also have read all of the info on viruses not being associated with
TM. It is not the virus in TM, it is the virus in the colony. It would
seem intuitive that weakened bees will have a weakened immune system
which would allow the spread of virus. From there on, it would not need
the mite since the virus would spread from bee to bee when in close
contact in their winter cluster. Works with most any confined group and
the presence of virus. You only need a critical mass of carriers and it
becomes an epidemic.

Some virus symptoms are easily visible with an infected TM colony that
survives the winter.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine