From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:29:36 -0600
In case you are think of writing me to thank me for the copies of the GIF,
don't bother,  thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, I have set up Pegasus to automatically send files
to those who wish them. Unfortunately, someone -- as far as I know now --
unthinkingly sent a message to BEE-L with the trigger words in the subject
line.   ...And BEE-L sent it to [log in to unmask]  On reading the
subject, my server (Pegasus) decided that BEE-L wanted a copy of the GIF
and sent one, which BEE-L sent back to allend (since I have the REPRO
option set) with the same subject line and away it went!   ...A loop.

I've used Pegasus for years now and it has some strange habits.  I just
got back from a long weekend of windsurfing (It was excellent, thanks
with up to 100Km/hour winds) and found that there were -- for some reason
-- 3 copies of everything in my mailbox.  Moreover, Pegasus was sending
out email like crazy.  I stopped it to find out what it was sending, but
by then the loop was well underway.

Then a few slow thinkers thought it would be clever to send the stuff back
to me, which -- you guessed it -- ordered even more copies for them!!! <G>

Fortunately I caught the server before it *really* buried them. (The
replies had the same trigger phrase in the subject line).

Anyhow, my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience to anyone and to the
LISTSERV. It seems the best laid plans of mice and men are aft gang aglay.

I'm going to have to set the server so that I personally have to check
and okay all outgoing email.

Allen