From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 06:04:12 -0600
Hello Brian & All,
> radiation treatment for EFB or AFB is being discussed but radiation
sources and treatment parameters were not described.

I had several discussions on the above and also the possible use of
Ethylene Oxide Fumigation. Quite a bit of research was done on ETO
fumigation back in the 80's by Dr. Shiminki.. Roy Thurber (retired military
and writer for bee magazines was a strong supporter). In fact a semi was
even built for ETO fumigation which could be taken directly to the bee
yards.  A picture of the semi ( pg.199)and smaller units ( 198 & 202)can be
seen in the last section of his book (which is a collector's item) if you
can find a copy. Roy was decades ahead of his time. Washington State
beekeepers have got rights to the book I believe and could do a reprint if
enough interest I believe. James Bach ( was on BEE-L at one time) would know
.

ETO is used by hospitals and I do believe would  kill virus contamination.
No doubt will kill  EFB & AFB spores.

I believe ETO would be cheaper long term than radiation.

A source to do radiation on comb has been found in Florida. The dosage used
is being kicked up to the maximum I was told. The cost is not cheap but I
was told the company can do a pallet at a time which is what the semi ETO
would do. In fact the semi ETO WOULD DO 20 PALLETS AT A TIME.

Commercial beekeepers are lined up to use the Florida machine.

 I will point those wanting the service for radiation or to locate and knock
the dust off the old ETO semi in the right direction *off list*.

The radiation is running around six dollars a box or approx. $2000 U.S. a
pallet. Reluctantly I was told a reduction in fees is being made for the
larger number of boxes by the company. Radiation on comb is new to my
knowledge.

ETO can be done on a small scale with gases purchased locally and being
handy
with tools to make the chamber. All the directions are in Roy's book.

Used ETO machines might be purchased from hospital salvage.

>So if a beekeeper was looking for a company to do some radiation treatment
of combs and
equipment what are the specs one would be asking for?

I heard some figures but would rather let those be set by the company doing
the radiation. Enough to kill AFB & EFB and virus contamination. Beekeepers
are opting for the higher dose I have been told.

Jerry B.
Research done at Penn State has shown that a queen infected with DWV , ABPV
or other virus passes the virus on in her eggs and every bee which emerges
is infected.

Also when looking at CCD you first need to eliminate the common everyday
problems.

Not possible in most cases as your tests are showing tracheal and varroa
mites. Many cases EFB & AFB. In most cases around three viruses present. In
most cases comb contamination from past varroa miticide use.

To top things off several weather related problems could cause CCD like
symptoms.

Also beekeeper neglect .

AND lets not forget off spec fructose, pesticides and pollen contamination.

The sad problem ( being realized by beekeepers maybe even for the first time
this year) is without taking positive steps to correct the problem you are
going to see the same thing next fall.

Tossing in another package this spring may not be the correct move.

I had wished Jeff Pettis had said the above at his ABF presentation but I
expect he was afraid the beekeepers in the room would kill the messenger!

Jerry B.
You are one of the smartest researchers I ever met! Please tell me the above
is not correct. I will not get upset.

bob

--
believed to be clean.