From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:05:55 -0500
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Especially if done on a regular basis. Especially if his FGMO is laced
with
>thymol ( common practice these days).

Hello Bob!

I agree, using FGMO does make ones success with small cell suspect!  And
further more, even applying these things in a non regular basis effects
varroa levels for several years, serving to disguise ‘actual colony
performance‘.

>I NEVER saw a Russian,varroa tolerant or smr hybrid hive I could not find
>varroa or tracheal mites in in fall.

Me either, and in the Spring also.  IMO, we need to come to the
realization that it is OK to see a few mites.  In the spring, state
inspectors are never satisfied until they have spent enough time in my
colonies to spot a few mites.  Required was the 10% inspected for my queen
permit, but I was more than happy to let the State Apiarist inspect every
colony!  What I do NOT what to see is a colony exhibiting stress or
pressure at the colony level or performance level because of the mites, a
few mites and NO pressures I do not care much about.

Dee Lusby will tell you you can find
>varroa in her hives but not a problem. Dann Purvis will say you can find
>varroa in his lines.  Charlie Harper will say you can find varroa in his
>Russian bees.

You can find varroa in my bees also!  It is wonderfully refreshing to see
honest breeders admitting this fact, this is a credit to the industry!
Yes Virginia, Mites can exist in out-performing colonies.  :)

>Varroa once they arrive will not be controlled  completely even with
>choumaphos or fluvalinate.

Why do we have a zero tolerance for mites in the industry?  IMO, Zero
tolerance would be better off directed towards bad performing colonies.  A
goal of developing mite resistant colonies that keep varroa numbers to a
level low enough so as to permit the colony to be productive and
outperform is certainly good enough for me.

Best Wishes,
Joe