From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2018 13:27:34 -0400
> We treat in Aug to ensure the eggs, larva being born 3 weeks later are free of Mites.
Your bees are never free of mites. You may get your hives down to a count of 0/300, but you still have mites.
> This means at this time (time of influx) our bees are healthy and free from disease related to mites.
No, again. The viruses are still resident in your population.
> Mid Oct: We now have an influx of Mites (how many per hive???) How much damage and how quickly does this damage effect the adult population?
This will vary based on the genetics of your hives and the mite condition of the hives in your immediate area. See the article abstract that Pete posted earlier.
> At this time most if not all mites should be in a phoretic state due to lack of brood
I would say that depends on your location. All of my hives still have at least a couple frames of brood at this time. So, there are still places for them to hide.
> What should/would I expect would be the damage to my hive from the 1 month infection to adult population?
But it’s not a 1-month infestation. It’s ongoing. Just like the chronic background viral infections.
> Is that enough to seriously affect the wintering ability of that hive?
Again, depends on the hive and surrounding conditions. In my area (mid-NJ), if the population is strong, they’ve laid in a good store of pollen and honey, treatment has been able to keep mite levels in check, the hive is adequately protected from the wind yet has sufficient ventilation to avoid condensation, then you’ve done what you can to help the hive survive the winter. I will tell you, I lost hives last winter with 100 pounds of stores still available. It is the sum total of all of the conditions affecting the hive that determines winter survivability.

Skillman, NJ