From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:46:39 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Aaron Morris
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>When it is cold I feed in the  hive with a wooden hive top feeder, but when
>it is warm I will set up a feeder a hundred feet or so from the hives and
>feed everybody at once. That said, just remember to not let it run dry if
>there is a nectar dearth because it can set off robbing.
>If you have several hives at that location, they will really get after it;
>I have seen them take a couple gallons of sugar water in two hours.
Please will someone inform an ignorant beekeeper as to why so much talk
of feeding bees, especially whole apiaries indiscriminately. How do you
ensure you actually have *honey* for sale? Remember there is an Asian
company marketing a process to convert sugar into glucose and fructose
as a natural honey substitute. My understanding is to feed only when
needed and at an appropriate time and in an appropriate method and
quantity, the specific hives that need it.
--
James Kilty