From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:07:27 -0800
--- Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >  'Artisanal Honey'?
> I might call it Artisan honey. Then it might mean
> that it was produced by a
> crafts person in the art of beekeeping....

Hi Mke,  Thanks for responding.

Some beeks are using the term to describe high
quality, floral honey of specific source, perhaps to
distinguish this  unique floral honey from imported
brands.   Artisanal honey seems to be popular in
upscale cooking and restaurants, and Food and wine
magazine has predicted that the future trend is for
more recipes to call for Artisanal honey.
There’s even Artisanal cheese, Artisanal beef and
Artisanal fishing!  ;>)

My question is,,, as any good business might adjust to
trends and competitors,,,

Regardless if the definition doesn’t quite fit the
literal use of the word.

Do you begin to label some of your floral honey as
Artisanal honey in preparation for this trend, and
gain an early advantage in this emerging market nitch?

Or do you follow the trend and change later, and let
the competitors take the lead?

Few Examples of other beeks using the term.

----->
"Anyone who hasn't tasted an artisanal honey is in for
a treat. Small apiaries, such as the 40-hive Santa
Cruz Mountain Honey from Whitethorn, Tunitas Creek
Apiaries in Stanford, and Marshall's Farm in American
Canyon, keep their hives in specific locations so
their bees can produce specific varietals of honey.
The honeys are then separately packed and minimally
processed to ensure that the final product retains its
unique flavor complexities."

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1F923B6C

--->
"It's easy to be captivated by a jar of artisanal
honey or jam. The flavors are not what you might
expect... some of the honeys are both bitter and sweet
and others have an intense earthiness. Some of the
honeys are from the pollen of many recognizable
flowering plants such as chestnut, lavender or orange
blossom while others are from the pollen of plants
that are less known such as arbutus or linden. All of
the honeys have their own distinct aroma..."

http://formaggio-kitchen.com/shop/index.php/cPath/22

----->

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'