From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:59:41 -0400
Eugene Makovec wrote:

>I have heard of laying workers depositing multiple eggs in cells, but I have
>what appears to be a healthy queen doing this.
>Can anyone tell me what causes this?

The queen "wants" to be laying thousands of eggs but there are only enough
bees to care for a few hundred. So she goes around and lays in the cells
over and over again.

This may happen more often than we realize, but if there are more bees they
are apt to clear out the surplus eggs. Of course, if there are lots of bees,
then they can keep up with the queen.

pb