From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:50:48 -0500
> Their study showed that nearly all of the absorbed PDB had
> evaporated into the air from the wax in 11 days.

Nearly, but not all. You also have to assume that beekeepers are allowing
their combs to air out for 11 days before putting them to use. The question
you raised, "why should we expect it later to transfer those substances to
honey?", is answered in this article.

"PDCB is a highly volatile and lipophilic (easily soluble in fat and wax)
substance. Beeswax can take up this material and a part of it may later
migrate into honey. Honey analyses from Germany and Austria show that PDCB
residues in honey are not rare. This applies to native as well as imported
honeys."

Sure, there are things that can be done to minimize the contamination to
honey, but analyses is showing that it's getting into honey.

> Further, they reported that
> 91% (as I recall) of the honey samples they surveyed had less than 11 parts
> per billlion (with a "b") of PDB.   Dan

After rereading the article, I find no references to parts per billion, only
million.

Regards,
Barry