From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 22:21:23 -0700
Hi to all on BEE-L

Keith Malone wrote:
I was looking at some of my bees I got from Bolling Bee Co.
and it seemed to me that some of the bees had wings that
were longer than the bodies.

Reply:
You have seen it in no other bees you have ever gotten or
kept? Is this the same for others on BEE-L?

Keith also wrote:
How far behind the end of the abdomen are the wings on your
bees Dee?

Reply:
For the small blacks about a good tergit width, though some
as the season progresses end right about there where the
abdomen ends (for workerbees. With Drones it is
consistantly longer.

Also, on our hybrids we are trying to bring by breeding
now, back to being simple hybrids, by reducing the number
of subfamilies through use of out-of-season breeding, we
are now starting to get constantly within range of the end
of the abdomen and tergits with the wings, with some, but
very little slightly longer. But it is harder here to do as
yellow bee traits are at the furthest extent of range, wile
the small blacks are at the beginning extent of range for
temperate zone.

Keith further wrote:
Is it possible to see a picture of this about your bees?

Reply:
Our bees should not be unique, for this/these traits should
be seen with any honeybee on a natural system within the
the nautral sizing spectrum. I have pictures I could look
thorugh, and others have been here taking pictures of our
bees from here, that could look through what they have
taken also to see, but to see the wings on paper for
comparison in-general, so you can learn what to look for,
for natural breeding selection stocklines, should not be
hard to find IMPOV.If you need help let me know!

Also as the wings are longer, I also look for the older
markings of tigertails or what I call tootsie-roll queens
Keith. These are bees striped yellowish with black and
brownish banding markings, and black with brownish top
tergit banding markings.

You seen any Tigertails or tootsei-roll colouration queens
Keith? If so, how do the wings match up?

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby