From:
Mark Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:12:32 -0400
We are still using here in Canada and with great results.  I cannot
understand for the life of me, why it has not caught on South of the Border
more.  A fall and spring application (if needed), treat both Varroa and
Tracheal mites with no fear of a resistance developing, unlike Apistan and
Checkmite.  Also, the residues from Formic acid are neglible, compared to
Apistan/Checkmite strips.

We have been using 4"x5"x.25" foam pads (the type of foam that florists use
to mount floral arrangements in).  The Foam pads are enclosed in shrink
wrap, clear plastic with the bottom ends trimmed to expose the acid soaked
pads to the air.  The pads are are attached to the side of the uppermost
Broad Box (open-end down: one pad per brood box) with  staple gun and are
left for twenty-one days (longer if the weather is lousy and cool, or there
is a large infestation). After this period the dried-out pads are removed.

Another benefit is the cost.  To treat each two brood box colony with two
pads, the cost is CDN$4.50, which is about US$2.75.  A Miniscule expense
when compared to the pharmaceutical chemical strips of Apistan and
Checkmite. And don't forget, the Formic Acid treatment is acting against
Varroa and Tracheal mites.  No more menthol crystal expense!

So what are the negatives, I have read that it is not as effective as the
chemicals, but I have not read any hard facts supporting this arguement
(perhaps someone can direct me to these details).  I've also been told that
newly emerged bees, can also be adversely affected by the acid, but I've
noticed no effects as such with our hives (ie. increase in dead bees at
entrance, etc), nor has brood rearing been interupted.

I suspect that the biggest problem with Formic acid relates more to the big
business of the pharmaceutical companies that produce Apistan and
Checkmite.  As Formic acid is a naturally occuring substance (ie. Ants),
there is no way big business can charge the arm and leg prices they do for
there patented chemical strips.  Hence, an effective lobby has slowed the
acceptance and spread of information on the treatment.  Another, problem
maybe that the profit margins in selling Formic Acid are far too slim, thus
none of the major bee suppliers/retailers have any interest in marketing
this cheap product, especially given the much fatter margins earned
flogging the chemical strips.

The gel packs and foam pads (that I believe are far superior) have solved
the problem of how to deliver the formic acid treatment, the only problem
that remains is getting the word out to general beekeeping population.

If anybody else has any further information on Formic Acid (ie. treatment
delivery, negatives, marketing, etc), please let me know.  I'm still
confounded as to why people are so reluctant to adopt the treatment.

By the way, we've lost no hives to mites, have very low levels on all
hives, healthy populations, good yields, and have developed no resistance
to Formic acid treatments.

Cheers,
Mark Walker.