From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 12:53:39 +0000
Albert W Needham wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 1997 23:13:36 -0400 David Green <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> >    Gary and I want to thank each of you who helped to encourage Gary
> >by your generous gifts.  About 235 dollars was received and some bees
> and
> >brood were also given, so he has gotten close to $400 in aid.
>
> Addendum to my prior comments:
>
> I might 'add' that I think that the $5.00 I personally
> contributed is a pretty 'cheap price' for all the 'free'
> advice and education on beekeeping that I have
> received from fellow BEE-Ler's over the year or
> more that I have been subscribing. So..it's not a
> total 'gift' on my part.

Al -

You make some good points. I think the reality though is in part due to the fact that
this is all being done through the medium of the internet. A great tool for
communication but it also has the negative side, "safety". People still don't consider
the internet to be safe in regards to exchanging money. Granted, one is not giving out
credit card numbers and so forth but I think people immediately get suspicious when
they are asked to give money. This is something that will change in time as the internet
becomes a standard place for doing business. If this story appeared in a newspaper or
on the radio, I would bet (hope) the outcome would be different.

It seems to me to be a very small effort for one to give $5 towards this cause as you
mention. I hope we continue to get updates of Gary's situation and hopefully more will
feel led to help out as they can. It would only cost me less than a quart of honey sold
to have $5 to give.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey