From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:17:49 +0100
From: "Eugene Makovec" " If the goal is to let the bees "evolve" till
they are mite-resistant, aren't we actually slowing that  process by
saving bees who would otherwise not  survive? "

The problem is that few (or is none? - I have no experience with
Russians ) colonies have as yet evolved to survive if left completely alone.
So at present we must expect all unassisted colonies to die, even if it
takes a few seasons.  Behavoral changes are acheived in steps - it needs
several successive mutations. So we need to help the colonies who are on the
way but not fully there yet - which I suggested can be by stimulating
grooming by dusting. We should be able to pick out the colonies that are
induced by dusting to get rid of the highest proportion of mites, if we put
mite catching boards under mesh floors.

Dusting with talcum powder or icing sugar is not a crazy new method -
it was one of the first mentioned in UK ministry leaflets in 1996.  It
is insufficient on its own for effective control ( but would get better
if bees develop have a grooming habit and mites are actively helped to
lose their grip) so that is why I suggested a second go with spraying
lactic acid or sucose esters, and even a third go by removing the first
sealed brood after a break in laying. But if dusting is used as the
first treatment,  we have a chance of picking out the colonies that have
taken the first steps to developing grooming, to select for breeding.  While
we use hard chemicals,  we learn nothing.

Dusting has dropped out of sight because strips have been so easy to
use - I am not being holier than thou, I myself have only used  Apistan
so far - but resistance is forcing us to relook at all the experience
and I intend to at least try dusting next season.  Back in 1988, Mobus
in The Varroa Handbook wrote: ",,,, the simplest chemicals ( formic,
oxalic, lactic) ... resistance is least likely to come about. In one
respect we can be certain: varooa is least likely to lose its sticky
pads and grow claws with which to cling to bee's hairs.  When all else
fails, we will have dusts and powders ...fine dusts can probably still
help when varooa has become resistant to all other chemicals in use
today."  In 1988, Apistan was seen as 'the best long-term investment' - 5
years does not look that long now.

Well, there may be some on the list who say we do not need to wait for a
dust testing stage for grooming,  they already have colonies that survive
with no treatment. {Is conversion to small-cell now established as reliable
on its own?}.  If so, Yoon could be offered hope of following their methods,
still within his vow.  Would a quick run round progress towards natural
resistance to varooa be helpful at this time?

Robin Dartington