From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:03:37 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] writes

>    Yes, but as far as I know, it's unique to  Amm. I don't know where
>Wright is, but there must be Amm genes in US bees  still.

This is completely incorrect.

Have seen this trait in times of pollen surfeit (we rarely have a dearth
here) in all the types of bees we have used.

Last season we had some fresh pure bred carnica that did this almost to
excess, and as a previous poster mentioned, in some combs there were
only a few cells of brood scattered among the pollen, and in all cases
pollen was being stored in some cells even among the brood pattern.

I have watched this thread with some surprise as it is a trait I have
seen in all bees in the right conditions, and the purest A.m. m. up here
do it too, but not really any more or less than others. Less often
apparent in singles, as they are often laying right to the bottom edge.

fwiw........I saw it a lot in Spain too a couple of years back. They
were using  A.m.iberica mostly, but also some A.m.ligustica. Same
characterisitics. Then again later the same week in the Rhone valley.
Beekeeper in question had mainly queens of A.m.macedonica, plus some
stock descended from an Australian import carnica x ligustica. Same
behaviour. I have photos from that trip.somewhere but on paper.

Just a thing that happens in certain circumstances, and if you start
looking for it over a reasonable range of hive numbers you will see it.
Is it important or significant? Probably not. Just a thing they do and
they will move it when they want to.

--
Murray McGregor