From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:26:50 -0400
Bill writes:
>They are not talking about genetic modification but genetic
>selection, a major difference.
>There can be an issue about GMO, but that is not what is happening
>to bees, according to this post.

My response:
As James and you have pointed out, nobody is at this point actually
producing GM honey bees. But I think that it is worth discussing now
why they should or should not. It looks as if it is is right around
the corner, to me. Universities are creating multi-discipline
programs for Genomic research. Since these various fields deal with
the genomes that underlie most of life itself, many of the techniques
and discoveries will be shared. For example, this paragraph from the
Honey Bee Genome Project:

>A honey bee genome sequencing project (HBGP) will benefit human
>health and medicine in diverse areas, including venom toxicology,
>allergic disease, mental illness, infectious disease, parasitology
>and gerontology. In addition,the HBGP will improve human nutrition
>by enabling enhanced pollination of food plants and accelerated
>delivery of hymenopteran parasitoids for biological control of
>pests. The HBGP will also improve honey bee sentinel function,
>providing enhanced capabilities for detection and location of
>chemical and biological agents of harm. Sequencing the genome of the
>honey bee, a beneficial, non-dipteran, insect endowed with a small
>brain but cognitive sophistication, with complex social organization
>but amenable to molecular, genetic, neural and ecological
>manipulation, will provide important tools and unique models to
>improve human health.

Well, you might say they are promising improvements to every aspect
of life! But the point is, genomics is not limited to improving
plants, or human health, it is expected to be used in all areas of
life sciences for all sorts of problems. And given the information
and tools to produce a Genetically Modified Bee, why would they *not*
do it? Particularly if the aim is to "gain national and international
recognition", as stated in the following:

>The Genomics Initiative forms the major portion of a $500 million
>New Life Sciences Initiative at Cornell University. This is a broad
>based initiative to recruit faculty and provide resources that
>foster a multidisciplinary study of biology in the post-genomics era.
>
>Insect Genomics.
>
>We invite applications for the position of assistant professor in
>Insect Genomics at Cornell University. Areas of interest include
>comparative insect genomics, insect population genomics, or genomic
>analysis of interactions between insects and plants, parasitoids,
>microbes, or predators, although candidates with related interests
>are also encouraged to apply. The successful candidate is expected
>to develop a well-funded program that will gain national and
>international recognition, to participate in undergraduate and
>graduate teaching, and to contribute to the development of genomics
>and life sciences across campus. The likely departmental home is the
>Department of Entomology.

And this appeared in the local newspaper:

>Initiative shatters boundaries,
>Plan buttresses existing research at Cornell
>
>Imagine a child cured of early-onset blindness with an injection.
>
>Some of the possibilities, based on current research, spurred along
>by the Life Sciences Initiative:
>
>A blindness injection: Vice Provost Kraig Adler said a therapy
>designed to cure dogs of genetic blindness could have human
>applications. An injection directly into the retina introduces
>healthy genes that, over time, supplant defected ones. "This was
>designed by Cornell researchers to improve the lives of dogs," Adler
>said. "But they are discovering that the genetic defect in dogs is
>the same genetic defect in humans that causes blindness in children."
>
>He said it would be years before there were human trials. But he
>said dogs have been cured of blindness in weeks using the therapy.
>"That's not too far off where you'll take a newborn baby to a doctor
>who will be able to read out from a blood sample the genetic makeup
>of the individual. "They can treat at a much earlier stage and
>correct maladies through gene therapy," Adler said.

My point is that to these people, there are no boundaries. It's all
genes, it's all connected, it's all about making headlines. Maybe
it's already too late for the honey industry. We have been degraded
in the eyes of much of the buying public. First, the word got out
that there can be pesticides in honey, now people are talking about
GM pollen in honey. Imagine how many more customers we will lose if
people start saying that beekeepers are using GM bees? So, if we are
not, we should say we are not and *why* we are not. But remember
this: once patented honey bee genes are made available, they will
likely turn up everywhere, in everyone's hives. Not only will it then
become nearly impossible for people to keep normal, unmodified bees,
but you may be accused of pirating the genes you didn't even want,
like corn farmers have been accused of unauthorized use of GM corn.

Do you think I am speculating too much? Maybe, but not more than
everyone else! They say it's "not too far off where you'll take a
newborn baby to a doctor who will be able to read out from a blood
sample the genetic makeup of the individual." Then, give it a series
of vaccines to clean up all the genetic irregularities! And we will
have the humble honey bee to thank for being the "guinea pigs" where
such tinkering was perfected.

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>