From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:28:48 -0500
There’s a rich sociological literature regarding professionalism and the tendency of various professions (e.g. legal, accounting, human resources) to extend their tentacles into more and more nooks and crannies of our lives; which brings me to the veterinarian profession.  As a beekeeper, I see or feel the presence of veterinarians in the Canadian Food Inspection Agency which controls importation of honey bees into Canada, and is tasked to manage incursions by exotic species at our ports of entry, some of which may be harmful to honey bees.

I also see them at work at the World Organisation for Animal Health.  I read in the Foreword to the OIE’s BEE HEALTH AND VETERINARIANS (Wolfgang Ritter, ed., 2014), that the threat of news parasites such as Tropilaelaps spp. or SHB “can be contained only if the Member Countries of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) apply strict trade control regulations based on OIE standards and have strong Veterinary Services managing the surveillance and control of honey bee diseases in their territories in close collaboration with beekeepers and technicians involved in these areas.”

As of this year, we are required to enter into relationships with veterinarians with respect to getting antibiotic prescriptions for the treatment of AFB and EFB.

Apart from AFB and EFB prescriptions, are any of you aware of any other current or looming veterinarian interventions into apiculture for treatment purposes in your countries, e.g., for Varroa management using oxalic acid vaporization, Thymol, formic acid, fluvalinate, amitraz, etc.?